Thinking of what to get for your boyfriend for Valentine's Day?
This year, your guy deserves something more than a generic box of Royce chocolates or a bottle of CK eau de toilette.
To help you with your V day shopping, Mr Goodheart explores his own multi-faceted psyche (and a bit of his personal wishlist) to tell you what gifts to buy for different types of guys.
1. The Adventurer
He’s exciting to be around, fearless and always looking for the next fun experience. He scoffs at the Megazip flying fox at Sentosa and the roller coaster ride at Universal Studios Singapore. You love him because he’s nauseatingly optimistic, unpredictable and did I mention generally crazy?
- Get him a fixie bike - because the only thing that will excite him (more than you) is the potential danger of getting flung off the bike at breakneck speeds (also suitable for The Hipster personality type simply because it’s the latest fad)
- Get him a G-Shock watch - so he'll know how fast his heart beats every time he sees you.
2. The Bad Boy
Your mother probably wouldn’t approve of him (because she has come across her fair share of these charming rogues before she met your father); but you find yourself inexplicably attracted to the thrill of being around someone so dangerous…ly sexy.
- Get him a wife beater as a subtle dig at him or just so he can show off the tattoos on his battle-hardened biceps
- Try reforming him by getting him an electric guitar to channel all that “angst” into sappy love songs for you. And nothing is more badass than a vintage Fender Stratocaster (or a Gibson Explorer like the one below).
He so badass, he don't wear shoes
3. The Chic Geek
He thinks the Back to the Future trilogy films are the coolest movies ever made, owns a ton of comics paraphernalia and plays World of Warcraft or Skyrim into the wee hours of the morning - but you love him because he can fix your computer.
- Get him one of these uber-cool-but-ultimately-useless curios and see his eyes light up behind his black-rimmed spectacles
- Get him a DVD box set of the latest season of The Big Bang Theory - the ultimate geek sitcom - because they say laughter is the best aphrodisiac (for you non-geeks; it’s because laughing out loud releases endorphins and oxytocin).
Is that an uber-cool-but-ultimately-useless curio I spy?
4. The SNAG
You don’t have to worry about trying to get a table at overbooked fancy restaurants on Valentine’s Day if this is your guy; he will single-handedly whip up a degustation spread in his own kitchen (served under candlelight, no less) and to top it off he’ll serenade you with Pablo Neruda poetry for dessert.
- Get him an indexed chopping board with knives set which he can share with his mom (that’s extra brownie points for you)
- Adopt a ragdoll cat with him. How better to let him display his caring and nurturing nature (and yours) than a cute furry pet that does nothing but eat, sleep and poop?
One of the 3 things that Marshmallow excels at
5. The Successful Guy
He could be a banker w*nker, a towkay’s son, or a social media entrepreneur. But you don’t really care what he does because he drives a nice car, lives in a nice house, takes you to nice restaurants and buys you nice gifts. He has all the material trappings in life so don’t bore him with yet another Goyard wallet.
- Instead, why not pique him with a whimsical hand-drawn certificate of awesomeness?
- Give him the best gift money can’t buy, your beautiful self in a Changeparade dress!
A sneak peek at one of our dresses from the new Valentine's Day collection!